Hiking Project Logo

Lumbar packs?

Original Post
Jim Reyome · · Breezy Knoll, TN · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 383

Anybody else use lumbar packs for day hikes? I fell in love with the idea when I picked up a Kelty Summit from Sierra many moons ago...it had just enough room for most of the things I really needed for day hikes up to 3-4 hours. Only lately have I upgraded to a Mountainsmith Day TLS, and it may be the last pack I ever buy.

Ben traval · · USA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I think lumbar packs are useful thing for enjoying hiking in a good way. I use this always and feel free for having great sort of time in an easy way. 

Bruce Hope · · Medford, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10,367

Because of a neck problem, my wife used a Mounainsmith lumbar pack for several years.  Earlier this year she switched to a ME-2 Pack.  It's strapless and big enough yet light enough for use as either a daypack or a backpack (she's used it for both).  It seems more comfortable and easier to pack than the lumbar pack she used before. 

Craig Chapman · · OR/WA/Chicago/NH · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 29

Lumbar packs are awesome! They get a bad rap because of their neon incarnations in the '80s, but they're eminently useful for backpacking. I've essentially replaced my daypack with one. I'll also carry one, positioned on my front, when I'm on longer, non-ultralight trips where my main purpose is photography. I've taken a medium format in one, but usually I'll be taking along a DSLR and other camera/video equipment. Throw the camera in there with a few snacks and you're good to go. May look a little silly, but function over form. I'm also intrigued by the prospect of using one by itself for overnight trips in good weather. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Lumbar packs?"