Garmin eTrek 10

Original Post
Stephen Roberts · · Drexel, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I only use my cellphone for emergencies and do not want to use it as a GPS device. I am looking at a GarmineTrex 10 to use instead. Anybody have experience with this unit?

Jim Reyome · · Breezy Knoll, TN · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 374

Garmin makes quality stuff and you can hardly go wrong with them. However, if you have the means, I would strongly suggest moving up one model to the 20. With that you get a color display and proper maps installable via an SD card, not an option on the 10. Brand new they can run upwards $160 US but you can get refurbs for around $140. It is WELL worth the price. I've had one for going on five years and it goes with me on every hike.

I looked at that model as well. Basically all I want is to be able to get my coordinates when I take pictures for my web site. I don’t need a device to navigate with. I searched the web for maps of trails and haven’t found any for the trails in South Mountain Park here in North Carolina. Does the eTrex 20 come with trail maps or are there any available for that model?

The unit comes with a basic street map but you'll want more than that. You can buy packages, yes, but much like Hiking Project's cooperative user efforts, GPS File Depot offers dandy topo maps of most (all?) states. And they're free! Check them out here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

Thank you for your responses. I have been doing a lot of research and downloading several programs to edit maps and such. I looked into Gpsfiledepot but found the maps wouldn’t installon my computer. I believe it needed to have a GPS device attached for it to install so I will try again later when I purchase the device. I found many instructions on how to upload topo maps to the eTrex 10 even though Garmin says it cannot be done. I did find topo maps of North Carolina that were broken up into smaller sections that would fit on the unit. The maps are primitive but since I will not be using the device for navigation they would be sufficient for my use. So I decided to go with the eTrex 10. Again, thank you for your responses.

Correct. The maps from the Depot install on your GPS, not on your computer. Enjoy your GPS; they are a lot of fun and open up a whole new world...geocaching is lots of fun and makes learning how to use a GPS enjoyable. The GPS does not, however, replace the good old fashioned compass.

I agree. I will still use my compass and paper map.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply