Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Hiking Project Logo

7 tips to hike stronger for longer

Original Post
Brett Petersen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I am newer to the Hiking Project, but already love this site.  Figured I'd throw out some info for the folks here.  I am PT in Northern Utah and have been putting out a few blogs about hiking.  I will post whenever I have one that I think may benefit this group.  Here is a good place to get started BLOG POST.  Any feedback would be awesome!

Larry Langston · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Excellent resource for preparation to backpacking getting in shape.  Good suggestions to help one engage in their own home.  Thanks

Brett Petersen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks Larry, that was one if my main goal in that article was a simple guide that anyone could do no matter there location... Now strengthen those glutes this winter!

Norman Reedus · · oakland gardens · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

thankyou soo much for this. Much appreciated 

Brice C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 24

I don't get why you keep mentioning "explosive power". Can you use power in hiking? Sure. Is it necessary? I don't really think so. Not being able to sprint up a couple stairs (after which your IIb muscles would be wasted) isn't going to make or break your hike. Same thing with strength - if you're using an excessive amount of strength while hiking, you're gonna burn yourself out real quick.

Hiking is an endurance activity. While some strength and power are surely useful (especially for someone who is simply not in shape at all), focusing on strength and power seems like a red herring. It's exactly what Twight warns against in TINSTAAFL. Training strength and power doesn't improve endurance. Training endurance improves endurance. The best training for hiking is hiking. If you aren't already putting significant miles under your feet, your time would be better spent elsewhere.

Brice C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 24

As a physio, I understand if your point is that doing these exercises will prevent injury - since the worst thing for any kind of training is complete cessation because you fucked yourself. But in that case, surely the benefits accrue because of building muscle memory of the correct way to perform these movements?

Also, I would point out that while making these exercises so that you can "do them anywhere", you are actually working against human psychology. "You can do these exercises anywhere, at any time" appears to be removing barriers to exercise - but instead you're essentially guaranteeing failure. "Anywhere, anytime" translates to "at home, when it fits into my schedule". People are creatures of habit, and certain environments and times elicit certain habits. That's why so many treadmills become clothes racks, and why you shouldn't watch TV in bed. Saying "I'll do these exercises in my living room" is equivalent to saying "I'll do these exercises for a week or two, and then never again".

Instead, a successful exercise routine tends to happen at a specific time and place that are designated exclusively for exercise, with at least one other person who is there for companionship and accountability. Preferably, the exercise will be enjoyable in its own right.

Joan Pendleton · · Almaden Valley, San Jose, CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5,907

Agreed, that hiking endurance is key.

However, IMHO strength and explosiveness are also needed, just like carrying a first aid kit is needed, though both may rarely be used. However, they are needed for the same reason, to safely get oneself and/or one's hiking buddies out of a "jam". Situations that develop due to weather, surprise obstacles (or even known obstacles) on the trail, minor injury of oneself or buddies, and so on can often call for some extra strength and/or explosiveness.

In the category of known obstacles, strength and explosiveness can help with scrambles (short or long), creek/river crossings, climbing over deadfall, steep uphill and downhill, and so on.

Same for unknown obstacles, strong winds, assisting an overly tired or injured buddy, general injury prevention, etc.

To summarize, strength and explosiveness is for: 1) safety and 2) opens up trail adventures that one otherwise should/would not try

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "7 tips to hike stronger for longer"
in the Training & Fitness