Creating a Hike using already uploaded trails?

Original Post
Tim Rachielles · May 17, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined 8 days ago · Points: 0

I may be missing something, and if so, I apologize. But is there a way to create a "Featured Hike" by clicking trails that have already been mapped and using them?

I am trying to create a hike that connects from Lafayette campground, up the hi-cannon trail to the kinsman ridge trail to the summit of cannon, then back along the ridge to both north and south kinsman. 

Using the map creator is cumbersome to say the least. If there was a way I could click the routes already mapped to create a featured hike, this would be much faster and easier for the user.

Mikhaila Redovian · May 17, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 7,840

Hey Tim, 

Thanks for reaching out with a great question! Currently we don't have a route-building tool that will allow you to stitch together a hike based on existing routes, but it's something that our development team has been discussing for quite some time. The feature isn't ready for prime time yet, but hopefully it'll be coming soon! In the meanwhile, I have a few admin tools that make it easier to create featured rides from existing trails. If you send me a few links to the trails that you'd like to include, I can assign the hike to your user profile, and you'll be able to edit/add details. Let me know if that sounds appealing! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Joe S · 7 days ago · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I was just trying to do something similar.  An existing featured hike isn't quite as long as I was hoping for but there's a nearby trail that would add a couple of extra miles onto it.  Definitely looking forward to that update.

I was hoping to tack most of the Harper Creek Trail (minus the tail of it that goes past the junction) onto The Raiders of the Pines Fitness Loop.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7025724

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7025263/the-raiders-of-the-pines-fitness-loop

Mikhaila Redovian · 5 days ago · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 7,840

Hey Joe, 

Thanks for letting me know! I have a quick question about your suggested route: Do you think that your route significantly improves the current route? Since our route builder tool isn't up and running yet, it's a bit difficult for our site to make personal routes. We try to ensure that Featured Hikes operate in more of a guidebook type capacity, highlighting the best routes in a given area. Do you think that we could either add that extension to the existing route, or perhaps add a note about the Harper Creek Trail to the original description? Let me know your thoughts, and we can go from there! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply