Hiking Project Logo

Creating a Hike using already uploaded trails?

Original Post
Tim Rachielles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I may be missing something, and if so, I apologize. But is there a way to create a "Featured Hike" by clicking trails that have already been mapped and using them?

I am trying to create a hike that connects from Lafayette campground, up the hi-cannon trail to the kinsman ridge trail to the summit of cannon, then back along the ridge to both north and south kinsman. 

Using the map creator is cumbersome to say the least. If there was a way I could click the routes already mapped to create a featured hike, this would be much faster and easier for the user.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,166

Hey Tim, 

Thanks for reaching out with a great question! Currently we don't have a route-building tool that will allow you to stitch together a hike based on existing routes, but it's something that our development team has been discussing for quite some time. The feature isn't ready for prime time yet, but hopefully it'll be coming soon! In the meanwhile, I have a few admin tools that make it easier to create featured rides from existing trails. If you send me a few links to the trails that you'd like to include, I can assign the hike to your user profile, and you'll be able to edit/add details. Let me know if that sounds appealing! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Joe S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I was just trying to do something similar.  An existing featured hike isn't quite as long as I was hoping for but there's a nearby trail that would add a couple of extra miles onto it.  Definitely looking forward to that update.

I was hoping to tack most of the Harper Creek Trail (minus the tail of it that goes past the junction) onto The Raiders of the Pines Fitness Loop.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7025724

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7025263/the-raiders-of-the-pines-fitness-loop

Hey Joe, 

Thanks for letting me know! I have a quick question about your suggested route: Do you think that your route significantly improves the current route? Since our route builder tool isn't up and running yet, it's a bit difficult for our site to make personal routes. We try to ensure that Featured Hikes operate in more of a guidebook type capacity, highlighting the best routes in a given area. Do you think that we could either add that extension to the existing route, or perhaps add a note about the Harper Creek Trail to the original description? Let me know your thoughts, and we can go from there! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Lee Watts · · San Bruno, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1,862

I thought that a featured hike would consist of several individual trails.  I have added 3 trails and was going to add another. Between those 4 and a trail that already exists, I was going to create a featured hike.  Wouldn't that be a better way to do it?  Otherwise you lose the descriptions of the individual trails.

Hey Lee, 

Thanks for reaching out with a great question. You're right in that many featured hikes consist of many different individual trails. However, because of how our software is currently set up, it's easier to upload a GPS track for the hike first, and then use that track to create the GPS tracks for the individual trails. From there, both the trails and the hike would be submitted. For each featured hike that gets submitted to our site, we try to ensure that a complete description of each underlying trail is also described. We think that this method allows other hikers to both see the recommended routes as well as being able to do their own research to plan their own outings. Let me know if that helps to clear things up, or if there's anything else that I can answer! 

Mikhaila 

Joe S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

No, I think the current route is an excellent featured hike and the additional section of trail I tacked on is not needed by most people.  You could perhaps add a note about the possibility of using the Harper Creek Trail to extend the route but I wouldn't modify the current "The Raiders of the Pines" featured hike.  The route building tool seems like the way to go and it's not a terrible inconvenience to not have it yet since I'm quite capable of mapping the section myself using the combined featured hike + Harper Creek Trail maps.  I do look forward to having a route building tool though.

Hey Joe, 

Thanks for getting back to us! I'll get that note about extending the route added in the meanwhile! Hopefully the route building tool will be coming soon! 

Thanks again for your patience, 

Mikhaila 

Eric LaRoche · · Keene, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 371

Yeah this would be great because i've been tracking a trail that uses piece of existing trails so I won't have one long track of the whole hike because it'll be like 40 miles.  A snap to trail option would be good how like MapMyHike and Runkeeper, etc... do it to follow roads and whatnot.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply