Hiking Project Logo

Adding trails from MTB Project

Original Post
Randy Carnley · · Dixon, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 137

Hi,

I just found this site and it appears to have lots of potential. I heard about MTB project a while ago, but I am more into hiking. I noticed this site lacks a lot of the trails in my area that I have hiked, but are included on the MTB project. 

Would it be possible for me to upload/add these trails to this site using the data from that page?

Thanks,

Randy 

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,166

Hey Randy, 

Thank you for reaching out with a great question! We've been thinking about copying over trails from MTB Project to Hiking Project for a long time, but haven't upgraded it to top priority yet. Is there a trail or a park that you'd be willing to help us with? For example, do you think that you would be able to describe a trail if we copied to to Hiking Project and assigned it to your user profile? Let me know, and we can get the trails copied over! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Randy Carnley · · Dixon, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 137

I would by glad to help.  I have downloaded the GPX and similar files for various trails in my area,  and would like to upload them.  I am in Sacramento California area, which is an area that lacks coverage on this project and can help in anyway possible.  

The trails that I have hiked recently that are on the MBT project are Lynch Canyon and Frog Pond Trails.  I have also hiked two trails not found on that site to include Putah Creek Reserve Trail and UC Davis Arboretum Tail.  I do not have GPS files for the last two, but may be able to with some pointers on how to go about getting them.

Thanks,

Randy

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,166

Hey Randy, 

Woohoo! Thank you for your help! I'll get those trails copied over, and will assign them to your user profile right away. 

There are plenty of options that you can use to record a GPS track! If you're using an iPhone, you can use the Hiking Project app to record a track. From there, you should have access to the track in your profile. If you access your profile from you computer after your hike, you should be able to convert it to a trail or hike in our database. 

If you're using an Android device, or if you prefer a different tracking app, those will work too! Apps like Strava and Map My Fitness among others will all record your track. From there, you should be able to download .kml, .kmz, or .gpx files. All of those files can then be added to our database! More information about what to do once you have the GPS file can be found on our Mapping Page. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks again, 

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply