Worthwhile to add "Best Route" option?

Original Post
Lou Poulas · · Lake Hopatcong · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 1,057

I understand the "Featured Hike" vs Trail designation, but the featured ones are reserved for the best hikes in the area.  There are still other fun hikes that combine multiple trails but likely aren't worthy of featured status.  It may be helpful to others if there were are mechanism to recommend multi-trails routes of this kind, perhaps "best route" or something similar?                    

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,153

Hey Louis, 

Thanks for reaching out with some great feedback! You touch on something that our team has debated on a few separate occasions, and that's "What do you to when the route uses multiple trails, but isn't quite featured". We've gotten a bit stuck on this one. We thought that adding another colored highlight might add confusion to the map, but I agree that having a way to denote a great but not quite "featured" quality route would be a great addition. If you have any recommendations on what that might look like, we would love to hear it! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Lou Poulas · · Lake Hopatcong · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 1,057

Mikhaila - I can see how it would be difficult to add this feature without cluttering and confusing the maps. Have you thought about outlining the route in a specific color such as red when selected or hovered over?  Don't change the color of the underlying route but just outline it.  This would leave a map looking normal to everyone until they started to look more closely. Once you hover over a park the optimal route would be displayed with a red outline. 

Or perhaps using just a portion of the feature hike just display the arrows marking the direction along the preferred route without changing the color?

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,153

Hey Louis, 

Thanks for getting back to me with some great recommendations! I'll bring your thoughts to our team, as we really do value input from those who are using our apps! I think that you make a lot of thoughtful points, and I'm excited to have a few new points to bring to the table! 

I don't think that these changes will happen immediately, but this is definitely one of our priorities! 

Thanks again for your help, 

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply