GPS Tracks and Phone Dying

Original Post
Camacho JG · Apr 15, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined 8 days ago · Points: 0

Hi. I was about to complete a hike and went to turn off the record/GPS tracker when my phone died. I was hoping that it would stop recording then but once I got back home and charged my phone I went into the app and noticed that it made a straight line from the location where my phone died to my home. How do I edit it so that I can only record my hike and not the hike+the distance to my home?

Joan Pendleton · Apr 16, 2017 · Almaden Valley, San Jose, CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 2,145

Hi Camacho,

There is a free tool that runs on Windows machines - GPS Track Editor.  See http://www.gpstrackeditor.com/  One can delete GPS points with it, such as the last point(s) at your house.  I also like to use it when my GPS tracker occasionally puts in spurious points way off track.  Hope this helps.

Mikhaila Redovian · 6 days ago · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 7,689

Great suggestion Joan! 

Camacho- were you hoping to add the track to the site as a trail? If so, you can also edit the track GPS points from our own trail editing tool. If you've elected to turn the route from a recorded GPS track to a trail, the site will bring you to a page where you can edit the GPS points. Holding the "d" key and hovering your mouse over any undesired points will delete them. 

Let me know if either of those recommendations help! 

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply